Friday, February 17, 2012

Cleaning Out Clutter and More

I began the year trying out a new activity that I recently read about and decided to try it for a whole month to see what kind of results I would get. I would like to share it with you now and hope you will also want to experiment with such a simple activity but with surprisingly deep results.


The activity is clearing up the clutter in your home. Yep, you read right. But what does that have to do with anything? 


Well...alot.


You see, clearing out the clutter in our homes, cars, offices is also a reflection of cleaning out the past and cleaning out our old mind patterns that no longer serve us, making room for new projects and ideas.


Unfortunately for many of us, we may find ourselves with piles of paper on our desks, piles of clothes in our  closets, boxes of old magazines, rusty tools, toys, books....you name it. If we have basements, attics, garages, we will continue to store things there that eventually we will not use, leaving them to collect dust and become clutter.


These things become clutter because for many of us it is easier to leave the boxes alone, than to make more of a mess  by cleaning and clearing them out. Part of the cleaning process however  is making piles for removal and some of us "neat freaks" don't like to deal with things not  being "in their place", and have to pull things out from the stuffed or crammed drawers and closets. Sometimes it may look neat on the outside, but the clutter still exists.


I began by doing a little tossing out everyday. In the bedroom and office, I worked on the drawers, throwing away piles of clothes and old files. The bookshelves got a run over, and I managed to part with a few books and donate them to the local library. Books, letters, and photographs are the hardest thing for me to clean through. and I usually hold on to most of them. Other days, I focused on the bathroom medicine cabinets and storage, cleaning out old creams, lotions, hair accessories and make-up. I continued on to the kitchen, family and living rooms, picking a specific area to do each particular day. 


Some days I would work on a small drawer; other days I would tackle of bin of sweaters. There were also some days that I simply had too much scheduled  and didn't "unclutter" that day.

It didn't take long, and soon I discovered that all this clearing out also affected my mindset in a positive way.
It feels wonderful and refreshing to clear the clutter away, comparable to taking a shower leaving one refreshed and renewed..I also noticed an increase in creative energy. I'm a pretty creative person, but sometimes get "stuck". This definitely has helped move away any stagnant energy and has in fact brought on a birth of new ideas for upcoming new projects.


As I continue picking areas to clean out, I am noticing that I am being presented with new opportunities for growth and self-improvement in the form of web-seminar workshops and high level classes which I will post in detail as they develop.


I  invite you to try this out for yourselves for at least a month, and let me know what kind of results you get. 


Remember, its important that you associate the act of cleaning with cleaning up and clearing away old mind and emotional patterns that keep us stuck in unproductive ways. If  you have kids/spouses/roommates that you live with, hand them a bag and have them join in on the fun.


For more info and resources:


http://www.lifetoolsforwomen.com/h/10-myths-clutter-htm
http://www.expansions.com



No comments:

Post a Comment